These Awards recognize Ottawa citizens who go out of their way to support newcomers in their efforts to make this city their new home. Introduced as part of Welcoming Ottawa Week in 2014, the Awards celebrate individuals who, in interacting with immigrants or refugees, have demonstrated the qualities of openness and friendship.
The Awards are handed out in June at the annual WOW launch event co-hosted by OLIP and the Mayor of Ottawa. They are posted on our web site shortly after.
You can find a list of past Ambassadors, organized by year, here.
No. We do invite all Award recipients to participate in a photo shoot and share their stories. However, participation in the photo shoot and story are not obligatory in order to receive the Welcoming Ottawa Ambassador Award.
To be eligible, the nominator must be an immigrant or a refugee. There is no restriction on how long you have been in Ottawa.
The deadline for 2020 nominations is May 31, 2020.
- Nominations will only be accepted in English and French.
- A maximum of one nomination will be accepted from each nominator in a given year.
- Welcoming Ottawa Ambassador Award recipients may only be awarded one time.
- Genuine respect: Openness, positive curiosity, and knowledge of or interest to learn about immigrants’ countries of origin.
- Intercultural bridging: Tips to help immigrants understand cultural nuances and the local way of life.
- Hospitality: Engaging immigrants and involving their families with Ambassadors’ families.
- Opening doors to community: Linking immigrants to networks, social clubs, professional associations, study groups, sports clubs, civic action and leadership initiatives.
- Friendship and generosity of spirit: Listening, understanding challenges, problem solving, reassuring that difficulties will pass.